Out for a spin


A mixed weather day but we wanted to get out of the cottage and get some fresh air.  Our nice landlords and hosts, Carol & Simon Fabby, have offered a bike for Candee's use and our former landlord Darren has found a bike for me.  I am trying to ignore, however, the sticker on my bike that says "Property of Clew Bay Bikehire," feeling that my use of the bike might be a bit dodgy.  My bike was found in the service alley of the Clew Bay Hotel, apparently giving Darren some rights regarding its use.  As he was cleaning it off before I took it, he was muttering about having advised an inventory system to his friend the proprietor of CB Bikehire, something including apps and barcodes, and isn't this what happens when you don't know where yer fecking bikes are at any given time, and that's how you lose more bikes than you rent.  In good conscience, I had emailed the bikehire folks before we left the States inquiring about a longterm rental, but had never gotten a response.  Darren made me promise to bring it back to him when we head back to the States and perhaps at that time it would return to its rightful owner.  Who am I to argue...

We headed off to the next town west, toward Newport, testing the bikes and our use of the gears and brakes.  As we didn't always choose the right gear, and the Greenway had its ups and downs, we tired ourselves a bit and shortened the trip to a modest 8 or 10 mile roundtrip.  Still, it was good to stretch the legs and get out into the air.  Further on the next trip!

Going so fast I can barely keep her in the frame!
Post-ride refreshments at home.  Look at that crispy artisanal roll...