Starcrossed by Doo Lough


Candee and I headed south toward the dramatic landscapes in the Sheefry Hills and the magnificent brutal setting of Doo Lough - one of our favorite places in Ireland.  The day was quite fine, nothing but blue skies and puffy white clouds over Westport.  But as we traveled around the north side of the Reek, we could see some heavy mists moving in from the west.  We continued along in the hope that we would travel through this eerie weather and find Doo Lough in sunshine.

It was not to be the case.  Always a good ride, always great primitive beauty in abundance, but I was not to get the picture I was hoping for.  I have included a shot I've borrowed from the Delphi Lodge website so you can get a sense of the area.  Of course, in order to get this shot I'd have to climb Mweelrea, a task that our local climbing expert and Clew Bay Hotel front desk staffer says is way beyond my abilities at the moment.  "Baby steps Tom, baby steps," has become her phrase.  You may remember from last year's post that Mary is a member of Mayo Mountain Rescue and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 2011. Well, we'll see how our attempt at Croagh Patrick goes today.  Perhaps Mary will consider me moving along toward an attempt at Mweelrea.  One can hope......

Before the mists.....

Milseain and Micra

Delphi Lodge.  You can see the heavy mist.

Horses enjoying their setting next to the bay.

A fixer-upper.  Views of the bay and the Reek.  We're thinking.....just add a roof.....
Doo Lough in the foreground.  Looking back through Sheefry Pass.
Well worth the climb, huh?  C'mon Mary, I can do it!
Photo from the Delphi Lodge website
http://www.delphilodge.ie/