Westport Golf Club








A beautiful day at the beautiful Westport Golf Club. The first six holes are a gentle opening, more a series of lovely parkland holes than the dramatic holes to follow. Still, enough elevation change to stir the soul of a Florida boy. Marion joined Padraic and me and proved to be the far superior golfer. She has a beautiful powerful swing and, despite a few unfortunate bounces, scored quite well - certainly ten or more strokes better than me, and perhaps Padraic as well. I can’t complain about how I played; I struck the ball particularly well, especially off the tee. I even had a nicely effective stroke from 50 yards and in. In short, I didn’t embarrass myself too badly. I may take up Padraic’s generous offer and play again next week. The course plays in the shadow of the "Reek” - St. Patrick’s holy mountain. It is the conically shaped mountain you see in the background of the pictures. It is the place where, in A.D. 432, Patrick fasted and prayed for forty days and forty nights before striking forth to evangelize Ireland. Each hole has an evocative name - The Churns, Old Canal, Wheatpark, Gibleen, Leenarevagh, Old Carrowholly. My best shot occurred on # 12, “Roman Island” - a 204 yard extreme downhill par 3. I hit a strong 5-wood down the hill, pin high and just off the green. A nicely played wedge put me 4 feet from the pin, and I drained the putt for par. The back nine is truly breathtaking. Number 15, “The Reek,” plays impossibly long. The tee shot must make a substantial carry over an inlet to a thankfully generous landing area. Then the real work begins. The fairway slopes severely from right to left and shots are drawn down the hill into more difficult lies. The final shot is uphill to a challenging green. A fine test of golf. And, the entire time, your concentration is challenged by the beauty of the setting - The Reek straight in front of you and Clare Island and the Atlantic Ocean to your right. A blessed piece of earth. Thanks to Marion and Padraic for sharing this treasure with me.