Lively Westport







When they said bluegrass, they meant bluegrass. Candee and I repaired to Madden's Pub on Friday night to enjoy some music and we were very pleased by the level of talent displayed by the band, The Macevillys. Great guitar work, wonderful fiddlin', rich and complex harmonies. However, imagine my surprise when their opening number was Rocky Top (Tennessee, that is)! Of course, I thought immediately of Charles Hansen, my trusty math tutor. Now, who the heck wants that when they're on holiday!!! Pretty funny, really. All songs were introduced in thick Irish brogues, but the vocal twangs during the songs were pure Kentucky (I refuse to go into the Tennessee thing again). They sang some Ralph Stanley numbers, sang my favorite - Man of Constant Sorrow - all in all, great fun. And, of course, the music is closely connected - Scots and Irish were among the first immigrant settlers of Appalachia, bringing their instruments and rhythms to the American South.

We also met some very lovely locals at the pub - Padraic (pronounced Porrick, of course) and Marion Duffy. He is a retired school principal, she a retired teacher of PE and Irish. He's past captain and president of the Westport Golf Club and has invited me to play as his guest this Monday or Tuesday (depending on weather). Should be great fun.